Friday, May 2, 2008

Dream a little dream, with me...

Where do I begin? I guess I will start with something I wrote a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't going to share this with anyone, I was just going to keep it on my computer as a reminder. But, sometimes dreams aren't meant to be kept quiet. Sometimes, dreams should be shared with those you love and who love you, so when you're tired and/or discouraged, they can chase your dreams with you.

Lately, I’ve been on this whole kick about finding my passion. I saw once on Oprah where someone said if you take your passion and make it your business, you are sure to be successful: both financially and “emotionally.” Since then, I have been in hot pursuit of MY passion. I have looked at those who have found their passions and are successful and have secretly longed for the same thing. Who wouldn’t want to make money doing something they love? It’s not even really the money aspect of it, truthfully. I merely want to be REALLY good at something I love.

So, like I do most things, I have analyzed this topic to death. I have inventoried all of my gifts and special interests. By gifts I mean God-given talents. I will always believe that God gives every one a talent. Sometimes, God likes to show off and he just dumps a boatload of talent on one person! This is not common but heaven knows I have met some people like that in my 29 years of life. I try to surround myself with those people, actually. But that has nothing to do with this so I’ll keep going. I have mentally made a list of all the things I am somewhat good at or those things I enjoy doing. I have obsessed over each of them and even vocalized one of them to a couple of people, thinking maybe that is what I am supposed to do. But after today, I don’t think photography is it. Sure, I will probably always love to take pictures as a hobby and be pretty passionate about it; but it's probably not my biggest passion.

What's so special about today? Nothing specific; just an “ah-ha” moment of sorts. I was deep in thought, which is the usual for me because I am always over-thinking something… and it just came to me. I realized my passion. So many things most people would consider quirky, all of the sudden made perfect sense. Keeping a spiral by my bedside to jot down any creative ideas I had while drifting off to sleep as a child, now makes sense. My love for lyrics and the way I always study the ones of my favorite songs, now make sense. My love for quotes, now makes sense. The millions of sentences I have written in my mind, now make sense.

In my heart of hearts, I am a writer. And there are no words to describe how amazing it felt to finally write that.

Thus, this blog is born. It will serve as an outlet for me to vent, to discuss everything from coupons to my faith, and primarily it's for me to practice my passion... my writing. I don't promise to be funny or even mildly entertaining, but I do promise to write here on a regular basis, to dream as big as the Texas sky, and always believe in myself. Oh and if you ever need someone to chase your dreams with you, you know where to find me.

I wouldn't be me if I didn't end with a couple of my favorite quotes. These just so happen to be about dreams, enjoy.

"We grow great by dreams. All big men are dreamers. They see things in the soft haze of a spring day or in the red fire of a long winter's evening. Some of us let these great dreams die, but others nourish and protect them; nurse them through bad days till they bring them to the sunshine and light which comes always to those who sincerely hope that their dreams will come true." - Woodrow Wilson

"Only as high as I reach can I grow,
Only as far as I seek can I go,
Only as deep as I look can I see,
Only as much as I dream can I be." - Karen Ravn

2 comments:

Kacy said...

1 - I remember the day I realized my passion. And, like you, it's not what I was expecting. It was a few years ago and I realized that God put me on this earth to be a mother. Nothing more, nothing less. I've been much more content in life since I discovered that. So, I know the good feeling :)

2 - I did a book report on Woodrow Wilson in 5th grade. He is an excellent man.

3 - Love the last quote, for sure.

4 - Write on sista! I'll always read :)

5 - Great post! And, congrats :)

Melissa said...

You are an excellent writer and I love that you are embracing something that is a passion of yours. I can't wait to watch you stretch and grow into your new identity.